[petsc-users] VecSetSizes hangs in MPI

Manuel Valera mvalera at mail.sdsu.edu
Wed Jan 4 16:21:27 CST 2017

Hello all, happy new year,

I'm working on parallelizing my code, it worked and provided some results
when i just called more than one processor, but created artifacts because i
didn't need one image of the whole program in each processor, conflicting
with each other.

Since the pressure solver is the main part i need in parallel im chosing
mpi to run everything in root processor until its time to solve for
pressure, at this point im trying to create a distributed vector using
either

     call VecCreateMPI(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,PETSC_DECIDE,nbdp,xp,ierr)
or

     call VecCreate(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,xp,ierr); CHKERRQ(ierr)

     call VecSetType(xp,VECMPI,ierr)

     call VecSetSizes(xp,PETSC_DECIDE,nbdp,ierr); CHKERRQ(ierr)

In both cases program hangs at this point, something it never happened on
the naive way i described before. I've made sure the global size, nbdp, is
the same in every processor. What can be wrong?

Thanks for your kind help,

Manuel.