[petsc-users] Using PETSc to read/manipulate mesh files

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 08:37:15 CDT 2017

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 2:42 AM, Aroli Marcellinus <
aroli.marcellinus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have this kind of mesh file, and I want to use PETSc to include the
> information of this file.
>

> In short, this file contains of:
>
> <NUM_OF_NODES> <NUM_OF_ELEMENTS> <1> <2> <3>
> <NODE1_X_COORD>  <NODE1_Y_COORD> <NODE1_Z_COORD> <FLAG>
> <NODE2_X_COORD>  <NODE2_Y_COORD> <NODE2_Z_COORD> <FLAG>
> <NODE3_X_COORD>  <NODE3_Y_COORD> <NODE3_Z_COORD> <FLAG>
> <NODEN_X_COORD>  <NODEN_Y_COORD> <NODEN_Z_COORD> <FLAG>
> <ELEMENT_NUMBER_1> <ELEMENT_NUMBER_2> <ELEMENT_NUMBER_3>
> <ELEMENT_NUMBER_4> <----showing element connectivity from node 1 2 3 and 4.
>
> Can I read this kind of data into PETSc? I am new in PETSc and want to use
> it for this purpose.
>

> Actually, this file contains a mesh of cardiac heart, and I want to
> convert this data into a suitable mesh data structure, and I thought that
> PETSc have a kind of mesh data structure. However, after surfing into a lot
> of tutorial, I cannot find any references that suits my purpose.

You could write a PETSc program to read in the data, and call

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/DM/DMPlexCreateFromCellList.html

However, I would probably write a small Python program to convert this to
Gmsh format or MED format,
which PETSc can read natively, and so can many other programs.