[petsc-users] how to use petsc4py with mpi subcommunicators?

Rodrigo Felicio Rodrigo.Felicio at iongeo.com
Tue Apr 11 12:14:05 CDT 2017

I think they are linked to the same MPI, but I am not sure how to confirm that. Looking into mpi4py/mpi.cfg I see the expected mpicc. On petsc4py/lib/petsc.cfg points to the petsc install directory and in there on the configure.log file I see the same path for the same intel mpi compiler...

I noticed that if I instead of
petsc4py.init(comm=newcomm)

using
petsc4py.init()

the works, but then PETSc.COMM_WORLD = MPI.COMM_WORLD

Further searching on the web suggest you are right and that the error msg that I am getting points to mismatch between mpirun and linked libraries, but why does it only happens if trying to initiate petsc with petsc4py.init(comm=newcomm)?
Anyway, thanks Jed, really appreciate the help.

Cheers
Rodrigo