[petsc-users] examples of DMPlex*FVM methods

Ingo Gaertner ingogaertner.tus at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 12:46:45 CDT 2017

Hi Matt,
I don't care if FV is suboptimal to solve the Poisson equation. I only want
to better understand the method by getting my hands dirty, and also
implement the general transport equation later. We were told that FVM is
far more efficient for the transport equation than FEM, and this is why
most CFD codes would use FVM. Do you contradict? Do you have benchmarks
that show bad performance for the (parabolic) transport equation solved by
FVM, or why do you think that FVM was designed only for hyperbolic problems?
The decision whether to focus on FEM or FVM is quite interesting for me,
because it seems like a matter of taste, and our professor of numerical
methods for CFD seems to strongly prefer FVM without a solid basis to
justify his preference.

Thanks
Ingo