[petsc-users] Configuring PETSc for KNL

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 4 23:03:29 CDT 2017

   These results seem reasonable to me.

   What makes you think that KNL should be doing better than it does in comparison to Haswell?

   The entire reason for the existence of KNL is that it is a way for Intel to be able to "compete" with Nvidia GPUs for numerics and data processing, for example in the financial industry. By "compete" I mean convince gullible purchasing agents for large companies to purchase Intel KNL systems instead of Nvidia GPU systems. There is nothing in the hardware specifications of KNL that would indicate that it should work better on this type of problem than Haswell, in fact the specifications indicate that the Haskell should perform better, as it does. No surprises. The surprise is that allegedly smart HPC members fall for Intel's scam because they don't do the most basic homework, or because they are so obsessed with "power usage".