[petsc-users] Configuring PETSc for KNL

Zhang, Hong hongzhang at anl.gov
Mon Apr 3 14:24:41 CDT 2017

On Apr 3, 2017, at 1:44 PM, Justin Chang <jychang48 at gmail.com<mailto:jychang48 at gmail.com>> wrote:

Richard,

This is what my job script looks like:

#!/bin/bash
#SBATCH -N 16
#SBATCH -C knl,quad,flat
#SBATCH -p regular
#SBATCH -J knlflat1024
#SBATCH -L SCRATCH
#SBATCH -o knlflat1024.o%j
#SBATCH --mail-type=ALL
#SBATCH --mail-user=jychang48 at gmail.com<mailto:jychang48 at gmail.com>
#SBATCH -t 00:20:00

#run the application:
cd $SCRATCH/Icesheet
sbcast --compress=lz4 ./ex48cori /tmp/ex48cori
srun -n 1024 -c 4 --cpu_bind=cores numactl -p 1 /tmp/ex48cori -M 128 -N 128 -P 16 -thi_mat_type baij -pc_type mg -mg_coarse_pc_type gamg -da_refine 1

Maybe it is a typo. It should be numactl -m 1.

According to the NERSC info pages, they say to add the "numactl" if using flat mode. Previously I tried cache mode but the performance seems to be unaffected.

Using cache mode should give similar performance as using flat mode with the numactl option. But both approaches should be significant faster than using flat mode without the numactl option. I usually see over 3X speedup. You can also do such comparison to see if the high-bandwidth memory is working properly.

I also comparerd 256 haswell nodes vs 256 KNL nodes and haswell is nearly 4-5x faster. Though I suspect this drastic change has much to do with the initial coarse grid size now being extremely small.
I'll give the COPTFLAGS a try and see what happens

Make sure to use --with-memalign=64 for data alignment when configuring PETSc.

The option -xMIC-AVX512 would improve the vectorization performance. But it may cause problems for the MPIBAIJ format for some unknown reason. MPIAIJ should work fine with this option.

Hong (Mr.)

Thanks,
Justin