[petsc-users] Configuring PETSc for KNL

Justin Chang jychang48 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 13:13:27 CDT 2017

Hi all,

On NERSC's Cori I have the following configure options for PETSc:

./configure --download-fblaslapack --with-cc=cc --with-clib-autodetect=0
--with-cxx=CC --with-cxxlib-autodetect=0 --with-debugging=0 --with-fc=ftn
--with-fortranlib-autodetect=0 --with-mpiexec=srun --with-64-bit-indices=1
COPTFLAGS=-O3 CXXOPTFLAGS=-O3 FOPTFLAGS=-O3 PETSC_ARCH=arch-cori-opt

Where I swapped out the default Intel programming environment with that of
Cray (e.g., 'module switch PrgEnv-intel/6.0.3 PrgEnv-cray/6.0.3'). I want
to document the performance difference between Cori's Haswell and KNL
processors.

When I run a PETSc example like SNES ex48 on 1024 cores (32 Haswell and 16
KNL nodes), the simulations are almost twice as fast on Haswell nodes.
Which leads me to suspect that I am not doing something right for KNL. Does
anyone know what are some "optimal" configure options for running PETSc on
KNL?

Thanks,
Justin