[petsc-users] error with wrong tarball in path/to/package

Klaij, Christiaan C.Klaij at marin.nl
Tue Oct 25 06:29:26 CDT 2016

Here is a small complaint about the error message "unable to
download" that is given when using
--download-PACKAGENAME=/PATH/TO/package.tar.gz with the wrong
tarball. For example, for my previous install, I was using
petsc-3.5.3 with:

--download-ml=/path/to/ml-6.2-win.tar.gz

Using the same file with 3.7.4 gives this error message

         UNABLE to CONFIGURE with GIVEN OPTIONS    (see configure.log for details):
Unable to download ML
Failed to download ML

My guess from ml.py is that I should now download:

https://bitbucket.org/petsc/pkg-ml/get/v6.2-p4.tar.gz

and that you are somehow checking that the file specified in the
path matches this file (name, hash, ...)?

If so, "unable to download" is a bit confusing, I wasted some
time looking at the file system and the file:// protocol, and
annoyed the sysadmins... May I suggest to replace the message
with "wrong version" or something?

Chris

dr. ir. Christiaan Klaij  | CFD Researcher | Research & Development
MARIN | T +31 317 49 33 44 | mailto:C.Klaij at marin.nl | http://www.marin.nl

MARIN news: http://www.marin.nl/web/News/News-items/Workshop-Optimaliseren-is-ook-innoveren-15-november.htm