[petsc-users] SuperLU_dist issue in 3.7.4

Anton Popov popov at uni-mainz.de
Sat Nov 26 05:38:01 CST 2016

Hong,

I checked out & compiled your new branch:
hzhang/fix-superlu_dist-reuse-factornumeric. Unfortunately it did not
solve the problem.

Sorry.

On 11/21/2016 04:43 AM, Hong wrote:
> Anton,
> I pushed a fix
> https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/commits/28865de08051eb99557d70672c208e14da23c8b1
> in branch hzhang/fix-superlu_dist-reuse-factornumeric.
> Can you give it a try to see if it works?
> I do not have an example which produces your problem.
>
> In your email, you asked "Setting Options.Fact = DOFACT for all
> factorizations is currently impossible via PETSc interface.
> The user is expected to choose some kind of reuse model.
> If you could add it, I (and other users probably too) would really
> appreciate that."
>
> We do not allow user set superlu' Options.Fact = DOFACT. If user
> changes matrix structure, then user must call
> KSPSetOperators() -> call symbolic matrix factorization again, in
> which we set Options.Fact = DOFACT.

I have a conceptual question. How can sparsity (column) permutation be
reused if it's applied on top of the equilibration (row) permutation?
Symbolic factorization should be repeated anyway. Does it run in some
kind of faster update mode in this case? Please correct me if I
misunderstand something.

I would still appreciate the full factorization even for the same
pattern without destroying KSP/PC object (just as a custom option).

> Hong

Thanks a lot,
Anton