[petsc-users] solving system with 2x2 block size

Manav Bhatia bhatiamanav at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 17:16:35 CST 2016

I tried the options "-mat_type baij” and that seemed to change the type of matrix to BAIJ.

I am now experimenting with various preconditioners (ILU, ASM, etc.), and things seem to be working fine so far.

KSP Object:(fluid_complex_) 4 MPI processes
  type: gmres
    GMRES: restart=30, using Classical (unmodified) Gram-Schmidt Orthogonalization with no iterative refinement
    GMRES: happy breakdown tolerance 1e-30
  maximum iterations=10000, initial guess is zero
  tolerances:  relative=1e-10, absolute=1e-50, divergence=10000.
  left preconditioning
  using PRECONDITIONED norm type for convergence test
PC Object:(fluid_complex_) 4 MPI processes
  type: asm
    Additive Schwarz: total subdomain blocks = 4, amount of overlap = 1
    Additive Schwarz: restriction/interpolation type - RESTRICT
    Local solve is same for all blocks, in the following KSP and PC objects:
  KSP Object:  (fluid_complex_sub_)   1 MPI processes
    type: gmres
      GMRES: restart=30, using Classical (unmodified) Gram-Schmidt Orthogonalization with no iterative refinement
      GMRES: happy breakdown tolerance 1e-30
    maximum iterations=10000, initial guess is zero
    tolerances:  relative=1e-05, absolute=1e-50, divergence=10000.
    left preconditioning
    using PRECONDITIONED norm type for convergence test
  PC Object:  (fluid_complex_sub_)   1 MPI processes
    type: ilu
      ILU: out-of-place factorization
      3 levels of fill
      tolerance for zero pivot 2.22045e-14
      matrix ordering: natural
      factor fill ratio given 1., needed 2.32913
        Factored matrix follows:
          Mat Object:           1 MPI processes
            type: seqbaij
            rows=294752, cols=294752, bs=2
            package used to perform factorization: petsc
            total: nonzeros=49050496, allocated nonzeros=49050496
            total number of mallocs used during MatSetValues calls =0
                block size is 2
    linear system matrix = precond matrix:
    Mat Object:    (fluid_complex_)     1 MPI processes
      type: seqbaij
      rows=294752, cols=294752, bs=2
      total: nonzeros=21059584, allocated nonzeros=21059584
      total number of mallocs used during MatSetValues calls =0
          block size is 2
  linear system matrix = precond matrix:
  Mat Object:  (fluid_complex_)   4 MPI processes
    type: mpibaij
    rows=1158728, cols=1158728, bs=2
    total: nonzeros=83105344, allocated nonzeros=83266816
    total number of mallocs used during MatSetValues calls =0
        block size is 2

-Manav