[petsc-users] DIVERGED_NANORINF for CG/Bjacobi for transient diffusion

Justin Chang jychang48 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 16:18:46 CDT 2016

Hi all,

I am getting this error:

Linear solve did not converge due to DIVERGED_NANORINF

when solving an FEM for transient diffusion using hexahedron elements. The
problem is highly heterogeneous (i.e., dispersion tensor with varying
cell-centered velocity) and normally CG/Bjacobi has done well for me. If I
did CG/Jacobi, my solver would require nearly 7000 iterations, but would
get the "expected" solution.

What does the above error mean? And what could I do to address it?

Thanks,
Justin