[petsc-users] Using TS

Emil Constantinescu emconsta at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Mar 12 21:02:54 CST 2016

On 3/12/16 8:37 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 8:34 PM, Emil Constantinescu
> <emconsta at mcs.anl.gov <mailto:emconsta at mcs.anl.gov>> wrote:
>
>     I also find it useful to go through one of the simple examples
>     available for TS:
>     http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/src/ts/examples/tutorials/index.html
>     (ex8 may be a good start).
>
>     As Barry suggested, you need to implement IFunction and IJacobian.
>     The argument "u" is  S_o, S_w, and p stacked together and "u_t"
>     their corresponding time derivatives. The rest is calculus, but
>     following an example usually helps a lot in the beginning.
>

> Are you guys saying that IFunction and IJacobian are enough to do the
> adjoint system as well?

Pretty much yes, but it depends on the cost function. This is the beauty
of discrete adjoints - if you have the Jacobian (transpose, done
internally through KSP) you're done. You need IJacobian for sure to do
the backward propagation. If you have that, the rest is usually trivial.
Mr. Hong Zhang (my postdoc) set up quite a few simple examples.

Emil