[petsc-users] CPU vs GPU for PETSc applications

Justin Chang jychang48 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 12:29:37 CST 2016

Hi all,

When would I ever use GPU computing for a finite element simulation where
the limiting factor of performance is the memory bandwidth bound? Say I
want to run problems similar to SNES ex12 and 62. I understand that there
is an additional bandwidth associated with offloading data from the CPU to
GPU but is there more to it? I recall reading through some email threads
about GPU's potentially giving you a speed up of 3x that on a CPU but the
gain in performance may not be worth the increase in time moving data
around.

Thanks,
Justin