[petsc-users] multigrid preconditioning and adaptivity

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 07:50:19 CST 2016

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 6:58 AM, Lukasz Kaczmarczyk <
Lukasz.Kaczmarczyk at glasgow.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I run multi-grid solver, with adaptivity, works well, however It is some
> space for improving efficiency. I using hierarchical approximation basis,
> for which
> construction of interpolation operators is simple, it is simple injection.
>
> After each refinement level (increase of order of approximation on some
> element) I rebuild multigrid pre-conditioner with additional level. It is a
> way to add dynamically new levels without need of rebuilding whole MG
> pre-conditioner.

That does not currently exist, however it would not be hard to add, since
the MG structure jsut consists of
arrays of pointers.

> Looking at execution profile I noticed that 50%-60% of time is spent on
> MatPtAP function during PCSetUP stage.

Which means you are using a Galerkin projection to define the coarse
operator. Do you have a direct way of defining
this operator (rediscretization)?