[petsc-users] different convergence behaviour

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jul 12 22:43:59 CDT 2016

  It is not uncommon for an iterative linear solver to work fine for some time steps but then start to perform poorly at a later timestep because the physics (mathematically the conditioning or eigenstructure of the Jacobian) changes over time; perhaps becomes singular. Another possibility is the trajectory of the solution is very sensitive to the solution of the nonlinear problem at each time step so that an iterative linear solver and a direct linear solver result in very difficult physical solutions after many time steps. In other words after many time-steps the computed solutions can be very different and if the computed solution for the iterative linear solver is eventually "non-physical" or ill-conditioned the nonlinear solver could break down.

  Please run with the iterative solver (that eventually breaks) with the option -ksp_monitor_true_solution -ksp_converged_reason and and send ALL the output (it will be very large, don't worry about it). Then we can see if the linear solver is breaking down. Note that by default PETSc linear solvers do not generate an error that stops the program if the linear solve fails, hence your NR code should call KSPGetConvergedReason() after EVERY linear solve and if the reason is negative your code needs to do something different since the linear solve failed and your code should not just keep on running NR.

  Barry