[petsc-users] Question about memory usage in Multigrid preconditioner

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 6 16:51:49 CDT 2016

> On Jul 6, 2016, at 4:19 PM, frank <hengjiew at uci.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Barry,
>
> Thank you for you advice.
> I tried three test. In the 1st test, the grid is 3072*256*768 and the process mesh is 96*8*24.
> The linear solver is 'cg' the preconditioner is 'mg' and 'telescope' is used as the preconditioner at the coarse mesh.
> The system gives me the "Out of Memory" error before the linear system is completely solved.
> The info from '-ksp_view_pre' is attached. I seems to me that the error occurs when it reaches the coarse mesh.
>
> The 2nd test uses a grid of 1536*128*384 and process mesh is 96*8*24. The 3rd test uses the same grid but a different process mesh 48*4*12.

   Are you sure this is right? The total matrix and vector memory usage goes from 2nd test
              Vector   384            383      8,193,712     0.
              Matrix   103            103     11,508,688     0.
to 3rd test
             Vector   384            383      1,590,520     0.
              Matrix   103            103      3,508,664     0.
that is the memory usage got smaller but if you have only 1/8th the processes and the same grid it should have gotten about 8 times bigger. Did you maybe cut the grid by a factor of 8 also? If so that still doesn't explain it because the memory usage changed by a factor of 5 something for the vectors and 3 something for the matrices.

> The linear solver and petsc options in 2nd and 3rd tests are the same in 1st test. The linear solver works fine in both test.
> I attached the memory usage of the 2nd and 3rd tests. The memory info is from the option '-log_summary'. I tried to use '-momery_info' as you suggested, but in my case petsc treated it as an unused option. It output nothing about the memory. Do I need to add sth to my code so I can use '-memory_info'?

   Sorry, my mistake the option is -memory_view

  Can you run the one case with -memory_view and -mg_coarse jacobi -ksp_max_it 1 (just so it doesn't iterate forever) to see how much memory is used without the telescope? Also run case 2 the same way.

  Barry