[petsc-users] Amortizing calls to PetscOptionsFindPair_Private()

Griffith, Boyce Eugene boyceg at email.unc.edu
Sat Jan 16 20:25:50 CST 2016

> On Jan 16, 2016, at 7:00 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>

>  Ok, I looked at your results in hpcviewer and don't see any surprises. The PETSc time is in the little LU factorizations, the LU solves and the matrix-vector products as it should be. Not much can be done on speeding these except running on machines with high memory bandwidth.

Looks like LU factorizations are about 25% for this particular case.  Many of these little subsystems are going to be identical (many will correspond to constant coefficient Stokes), and it is fairly easy to figure out which are which.  How hard would it be to modify PCASM to allow for the specification of one or more "default" KSPs that can be used for specified blocks?

Of course, we'll also look into tweaking the subdomain solves --- it may not even be necessary to do exact subdomain solves to get reasonable MG performance.

-- Boyce