[petsc-users] Profile a matrix-free solver.

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Fri Jan 15 13:56:19 CST 2016

Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:
> The way I read this, you are taking about 23 iterates/solve, and most of
> your work is residual computation which should
> be highly parallelizable/vectorizable. This seems great to me.

This in the sense that it's up to you to determine whether your
matrix-free residual and preconditioning code is fast.  This profile
merely says that almost all of the run-time is in *your code*.  If your
code is fast, then this is good performance.  If you can use a different
algorithm to converge in fewer iterations, or a different representation
to apply the operator faster, then you could do better.