[petsc-users] Neumann BC with non-symmetric matrix

Boyce Griffith griffith at cims.nyu.edu
Mon Feb 29 16:42:19 CST 2016

> On Feb 29, 2016, at 5:36 PM, Mark Adams <mfadams at lbl.gov> wrote:
>

> GAMG is use for AMR problems like this a lot in BISICLES.
>
> Thanks for the reference. However, a quick look at their paper suggests they are using a finite volume discretization which should be symmetric and avoid all the shenanigans I'm going through!
>
> No, they are not symmetric.  FV is even worse than vertex centered methods.  The BCs and the C-F interfaces add non-symmetry.

If you use a different discretization, it is possible to make the c-f interface discretization symmetric --- but symmetry appears to come at a cost of the reduction in the formal order of accuracy in the flux along the c-f interface. I can probably dig up some code that would make it easy to compare.

-- Boyce