[petsc-users] Some clarification on PCMG

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 19 12:59:19 CST 2016

> On Feb 19, 2016, at 11:38 AM, Aulisa, Eugenio <eugenio.aulisa at ttu.edu> wrote:
>
> Thanks Berry,
>
> In Amat we have the weak form of a Jacobian with all Neumann Boundary conditions,
> while in Pmat we have the same Jacobian  with the correct  Dirichlet nodes imposed by penalty,

  Using Dirichlet problems to precondition a Neumann problem is a no-no. The spectrum are different and so it is not a spectrally equivalent preconditioner nor is there any good reason to do it IMHO.

> So Pmat is the real problem and the fact that the preconditioned residual converges
> tell us that we are solving  the problem correctly.

   No it doesn't tell you that. You have not solved the problem correctly.

> We know that for many other reasons.

   Some people do this but no self-respecting numerical analyst would accept the answers.

> The  residual update with a Neumann Amat on the Dirichlet nodes
> is used only to generate the correct residual restriction on the coarse nodes
> whose support overlaps with the support of the fine boundary nodes.
>
> The fact that the true residual does not converge is then correct,
> because it involves the residual of those fake Neumann boundary nodes ,
> that are never solved.

   I don't think there is any reason for you to build the multigrid preconditioner in this way. Geometric multigrid can work fine for Neumann problems with regular smoothers and no "special" Pmat. You just have to make sure you provide the null space information to the matrix on each level which can be done with MatSetNullSpace and use a coarse grid solver that can handle the null space. Usually what we do is have a very small coarse problem and then just use PCSVD on that problem.

  Feel free to ask for help in using this approach.

  Barry

> Now, what puzzles us is that using Pmat or Amat does
> not change the convergence of the Multigrid not even of a single digit.
> We would expect a better convergence using Amat, but it is not the case.

   Do you get the exact same convergence history? If so I agree it is odd.