[petsc-users] TS and snes_grid_sequence

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 10 14:06:49 CST 2016

   Francesco,

     Unfortunately the -snes_grid_sequence option only works with a single SNES nonlinear solve and not directly within an outer time-integration scheme.

     We do not currently have library code to do grid sequence within a time-step. I believe that providing this requires a great deal of "replumbing" of the TS solvers to make them "grid sequence aware". This is true I believe for both traditional grid sequencing and FAS (I would be happy if Emil or Jed could prove me wrong).  There are seemingly multiple ways to do the grid sequencing:

1) Restrict the current solution to a coarse mesh and do a single stage of the ODE integrator (which means solve a single nonlinear solve) on that coarse mesh, interpolate the solution to the next mesh and use it as an initial guess for the single stage on that mesh and then continue to up the finest mesh. Note that since the specific ODE integrator determines the "recipe" for the SNES function evaluation this is not something that can be done in pure user code, it must use the "plumbing" of the specific ODE integrator.

an alternative is
2) Restrict the current solution to a coarse mesh and do the entire timestep of the ODE integrator (which means multiple stage and multiple nonlinear solvers) saving all the intermediate solutions (for each stage). Interpolate all the intermediate solutions (as well as the final solution) to the finer mesh and repeat the entire timestep computation but using the interpolated intermediate solutions as the initial guesses for the nonlinear solves). Continue to the finest mesh. Again this cannot be done in user code and requires replumbing the ODE integrator.

   I think 2 will produce different "results" from 1 since for 1 the coarse grid initial values on (for example) the second stage will be obtained from restricting the finest grid solution from the first stage while with 2 the initial values on the second stage will be directly the coarse solution from the first stage.

To do the FAS is even more involved, I can only conceive of doing it for a single stage. Again the FAS has to be plumbed directly into the specific ODE solver to define the correct functions for the various levels.

With the above approaches the coarser nonlinear problems should be "easier" than the finest because the time-step remains small but the space discretization is larger. But the only way the approaches can work is if the interpolated coarse grid solution used on the finer mesh is within the basin of attraction on that mesh, otherwise you will still have the same problem you have now of lack of convergence.

I don't know if anyone actually does this and how much it helps or could help. I welcome input from others.

 Based on your convergence experience it sounds like your solution is changing rather rapidly in time? Is the solution somewhat smooth in space? If not then I don't think grid sequencing will help much.

  Barry