[petsc-users] petsc externalpackage directory

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Feb 3 20:48:50 CST 2016

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
> My point here is - we haven't have problems with it. [if we had - then you would be doing 'rm -rf PETSC_ARCH' 20 times every day..]

I don't understand this logic.  We tell users to do this several times
every day.  We might attribute it to having something "old" (like from a
different version of PETSc), but we never really know.  I don't consider
the unpacked, dirty source tree in PETSC_ARCH/externalpackages to be in
any way equivalent to a tarball.  We could insist on out-of-source
builds, though not all packages support that.  I just don't think it's a
good idea to advise people to copy the externalpackages directory
around.  Download the tarballs and copy them wherever you need them.  Or
open a proxy (easy with ssh) so you don't have to waste effort on the
silly firewall.