[petsc-users] petsc externalpackage directory

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Feb 2 23:12:56 CST 2016

> On Feb 2, 2016, at 11:05 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

>>   But in your previous email you seemed to advocate exactly that. You said
>>
>> I'd rather cache
>> the tarballs (with checksum) or use git repositories (which can be
>> reliably cleaned)
>>
>> isn't that adding "complicated features to facilitate"
>
> I'd rather cache tarballs than support people copying dirty build
> directories around.  I don't particularly want either of these, but
> caching tarballs and verifying them via a hash can at least be made
> reliable.

 Hey I never particularly advocating taring up externalpackage directories, that was Satish! I just asked what the flaw was with it which you correctly pointed out.

 My model is just read the damn list of tarballs that is displayed when you run ./configure on the "public" machine and use those same locations to get the tarballs needed for the "private" machine. It is goofy for us to maintain a proper cache of downloaded tarballs when people can just get them themselves anyway.