[petsc-users] petsc externalpackage directory

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Feb 2 22:29:01 CST 2016

>>  I'd rather cache
>> the tarballs (with checksum) or use git repositories (which can be
>> reliably cleaned)
>
>   Ok then you write the code to do this. It doesn't currently exist
>   (and I am not sure we want to be in the business of writing a full
>   package management system :-).

Aren't we deleting the tarballs now "to save storage"?  I don't want to
add yet another configuration option for users to read (it's irrelevant
for 99% of them anyway).  The problem with too many configuration
options is that people give up on reading --help before finding the part
that documents something they want.

>    Anybody who thinks that a computer system that doesn't allow direct
>    downloads of open source tarballs or git repositories (because of
>    security considerations) but allows people to indirectly download
>    those exact same tarballs or git repositories (as if that indirect
>    download somehow magically cleanses the tarballs or repositories)
>    is a damn fool anyways.

Which is why I'm not motivated to add complicated features to
facilitate.  Employees need to complain about asinine policies they are
forced to work around.