[petsc-users] petsc externalpackage directory

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Feb 2 22:01:42 CST 2016

>> On Feb 2, 2016, at 7:00 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
>>
>> Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
>>> Or you can copy the whole '$PETSC_ARCH/externalpackages' dir over to
>>> this other machine [and place in the same location - for any
>>> PETSC_ARCH you plan to use..]
>>
>> This sounds unreliable.
>
>   In what way?

You'll be building in a dirty directory (one that was used for a
different PETSC_ARCH).  If the project doesn't manage their dependencies
perfectly, it could use a build artifact from a different PETSC_ARCH,
which would result in linking errors (for example).  I'd rather cache
the tarballs (with checksum) or use git repositories (which can be
reliably cleaned) than simply build in dirty directories that cannot be
cleaned.