[petsc-users] snes linesearch bt vs basic?

Xiangdong epscodes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 13:46:40 CST 2016

Hello everyone,

I have a question on snes with line search. Under what circumstance,
applying the (globalized) line search can perform WORSE than without line
search (i.e. full newton step ls type basic)?

When I apply snes with my problem, I found that at some time steps, snes
diverges with linesearch_bt, but can converge with linesearch_basic (using
same initial guess). For the same problem, there are also some steps, at
which linearsearch_basic fails, but linesearch_bt converges. Is there a
general guide line to decide whether linesearch should be used?

Thanks.

Xiangdong