[petsc-users] structure of A

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Dec 16 20:33:34 CST 2016

  Direct solvers are less sensitive to whether the matrix is diagonal dominate but in the extreme, since matrices that are not diagonally dominate are generally more ill-conditioned, direct solvers in that extreme region will produce less accurate answers. Direct solvers have the additional problem they do not, and likely cannot, scale to really large problems, 10's of millions to billions of unknowns while iterative solves can (assuming the matrix is suitable for direct solvers) can solve problems with billions of unknowns.

   Barry