[petsc-users] strange out memory issues or bus errors when increasing pb size

Aurelien Ponte aurelien.ponte at ifremer.fr
Fri Dec 16 08:45:10 CST 2016

Hi,

I am inverting a 3D elliptical operator with petsc4py (3.4, petsc is 3.4.5)
installed via conda: https://anaconda.org/sed-pro-inria/petsc4py

I get systematic crashes (out of memory or bus error) when I reach a
certain

grid size (512 x 256 x 100) even though I maintain the same number of
grid points per processor.
I used up to 256 procs and got similar crashes.

Browsing the internet indicates that using 64-bit-indices may be cure for
such pb.
It will take however a significant amount of effort for me to install
petsc4py and petsc with this option. I do not even know how to check whether
my current versions of petsc4py and petsc was installed with it.

Would you have any tips or recommendation about how I could address the
issue ?

Thanks,

Aurelien

--