[petsc-users] Simultaneously compute Residual+Jacobian in SNES

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 15:02:08 CST 2016

On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 2:43 PM, Derek Gaston <friedmud at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Barry - I'll try it and get back to you.
>
> Matt: There are lots of cases where this could be a large savings.  Here
> are a few examples:
>
> 1.  If you have automatic differentiation.  With my newest code, just
> computing a residual computes the Jacobian as a side effect.  If you throw
> away that Jacobian that's obviously a waste.  If you compute one residual
> without computing the Jacobian (which isn't always possible, depending on
> how you have your automatic differentiation setup) then you still have to
> compute _another_ residual to compute the Jacobian... so you're directly
> doing double the residual computations that are necessary.

I consider this bad code management more than an analytical case for the
technique, but I can see the point.

> 2.  Anytime you have extremely expensive work to do "per element" that
> would need to be done for both the residual and Jacobian.  A few examples:
>   - Extremely complex, heavy shape function evaluation (think super high
> order with first and second derivatives needing to be computed)

I honestly do not understand this one. Maybe I do not understand high order
since I never use it. If I want to compute an integral, I have
the basis functions tabulated. I understand that for high order, you use a
tensor product evaluation, but you still tabulate in 1D. What is
being recomputed here?

>   - Extremely heavy material property computations that need to happen at
> each quadrature point.  Think: multiscale.  Maybe you have an expensive
> lower-length-scale solve to do at every quadrature point (yes, we've
> actually done this).

Yes. I have to think about this one more.

>   - MANY coupled variables (we've run thousands).  Each of those variables
> needs to have value, gradient and (possibly) second derivatives computed at
> every quadrature point.  These values are exactly the same for the residual
> and Jacobian.

Ah, so you are saying that the process of field evaluation at the
quadrature points is expensive because you have so many fields.
It feels very similar to the material case, but I cannot articulate why. I
guess my gut says that really expensive material properties,
much more expensive than my top level model, should be modeled by something
simpler at that level. Same feeling for using
thousands of fields.

However, science proceeds by brute force, not clever should have beens. I
can see in these cases that a combined evaluation would
save a lot of time. However, our Newton does not really know whether it
needs a Jacobian or residual at the same time. Its hard to make
it work in my head. For example,

  1) I compute a Jacobian with every residual. This sucks because line
search and lots of other things use residuals.

  2) I compute a residual with every Jacobian. This sound like it could
work because I compute both for the Newton system, but here I
      am reusing the residual I computed to check the convergence criterion.

Can you see a nice way to express Newton for this?

  Matt