[petsc-users] Question about Set-up of Full MG and its Output

frank hengjiew at uci.edu
Tue Dec 6 16:22:58 CST 2016

Dear all,

I am trying to use full MG to solve a 2D Poisson equation.

I want to set full MG as the solver and SOR as the smoother. Is the
following setup the proper way to do it?
  -ksp_type                    richardson
  -pc_type                      mg
  -pc_mg_type               full
  -mg_levels_ksp_type   richardson
  -mg_levels_pc_type    sor

The ksp_view shows the levels from the coarsest mesh to finest mesh in a
linear order.
I was expecting sth like:  coarsest -> level1 -> coarsest -> level1 ->
level2 -> level1 -> coarsest -> ...
Is there a way to show exactly how the full MG proceeds?

Also in the above example, I want to know what interpolation or
prolongation method is used from level1 to level2.
Can I get that info by adding some options? (not using PCMGGetInterpolation)

I attached the ksp_view info and my petsc options file.
Thank you.

Frank