[petsc-users] Memory Distribution and Mesh Partition in Finite Element Method

Jie Cheng chengj5 at rpi.edu
Tue Apr 26 23:00:42 CDT 2016

Hello Barry

It turns out METIS can easily generate the necessary graph information from the type of connectivity file I described with mesh2dual and mesh2nodal commands. But I do not fully understand the trick you talked about:

Suppose I have 10 elements and I am running my program with 2 MPI ranks.

1) I should let rank 0 take care of the first to the 5th element, and rank 1 take care of the 6th to the 10th element and let PETSc do the real partitioning?
2) I have the necessary graph information, but how do I partition the elements and the vertices? Call MatCreateMPIAdj twice to create two isgs? I do not understand what you meant by “partition the vertices (nodal values) subservient to the partitioning of the elements”.
3) To set values in the global stiffness matrix I need to know the global element number and global vertex number, how to get them?

I have to ask these in detail because the manual seems to be too brief about the approach. Thanks for your patience.

Best
Jie