[petsc-users] DMCreateMatrix with some dense row

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 27 21:05:28 CDT 2015

> On Oct 27, 2015, at 8:55 PM, Sang pham van <pvsang002 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Matt,
>
> Can you please answer my second question about the way PESCs understand the column indies? :
>
> One more question I have is that, when preallocating for a node, as you can see in my below code (based on original PETSc code), since I have 3 equations, I preallocated 3 rows (in rows[l] array), each row has a number of columns index, all column indices of the three rows are stored in the cols[] array. At this point I don't understand how PETSc know in that cols[] arrays which column indices belonging to the first(second/third) row? Please help me to understand this.

  The preallocation doesn't indicate which columns will have nonzeros, just the NUMBER of columns that will have nonzeros, it is only when values are actually entered into the matrix that the nonzero columns are determined.

  Also note that MatSetValuesLocal() will NOT work for your "dense rows", it only works for values that fit into the natural stencil of the matrix as defined with the DMDA. To put values into the dense rows you will need to call  MatSetValues(), not MatSetValuesLocal().

  You are trying to do something that PETSc DMDA was not designed for so it may take a little work to accomplish what you want.

  Barry