[petsc-users] DM question.

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 06:14:18 CDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 3:01 AM, Afanasiev Michael <
michael.afanasiev at erdw.ethz.ch> wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> So I’m discretizing via a tensor product of Lagrange polynomials
> co-located at the Gauss-Lobatto-Legendre (GLL) points. The polynomial order
> might range from 4 to 10 or something like that. The current problem is
> solved on 2D hexes.
>
> I had found DMPlexCreateSection, and followed plex/ex1to get things set
> up. You can see my attempt below. Basically I’ve got 4 fields
> (displacement, velocity, acceleration, and strain) over each element. Here
> I’ve tried to setup a tensor product of 4th order (5 GLL points) Lagrange
> polynomials (line 11). This seemed to * somewhat* achieve what I wanted —
> I created a global vector and wrote it to a vtk file with VecView, and the
> numbering seemed to make sense. You can also see my attempt at defining a
> boundary condition (it looked like DMPlexCreateFromExodus labeled side sets
> as “Face Sets”, seems to have worked).
>
> Does this seem to be headed in the right direction?

Yes, however I have some questions. Starting out, I think the GLL points
include the endpoints, so
that means for polynomial degree k that numDof[] should really have 4*1
dofs on each vertex,
4*(k-1) dofs on each edge, and 4*(k-1)^2 on each quad. It looks like below
you have numDof[] for
a 1D mesh with DG element.

The "Face Sets" is the right label to use for boundary conditions. This
will eliminate those variables
from the global system, but they will be present in the local spaces.

With elements like these, it is common (I think) to eliminate the cell
unknown explicitly, since the
system is dense and not connected to other cells. For this, you would
retain the vertex and edge
unknowns, but not the cell unknowns. I have not tried to do this myself, so
I do not know if there
are any pitfalls.

You can see an example of a similar implementation specifically for the
kind of spectral elements
you are considering here: https://github.com/jedbrown/dohp. It would
probably be useful to understand
what is done there as you implement.