[petsc-users] petsc cmake config - BUILD_SHARED_LIBS

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 13:15:49 CDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 1:12 PM, Arne Morten Kvarving <
Arne.Morten.Kvarving at sintef.no> wrote:

> > No, some things are actually better than other things. This is why its
> engineering and not art appreciation.
>
> let me rephrase that. it depends on your position. i'm sure you have
> sound, technical reasons for reinventing the wheel. but from a user's point
> of view that sucks, because now i have to learn how to operate (or more
> relevant; change) a new wheel. with cmake or automake, it is (well,
> ideally) learn once, apply everywhere. with custom solutions, you get to
> spend time learning stuff all over again, stuff which cannot be reapplied
> elsewhere.
>
> ref the thing here that happened with my misunderstanding of the purpose
> of that config file. whenever i see a <Package>Config.cmake it is the cmake
> config mode file for <Package>. it did not occur to me that it could be
> anything else, because i have never seen it be anything else in any other
> pieces of software.

Yes, we need to change the name of that. Its very confusing and no longer
used.

We tried very hard to use CMake, but it was woefully inadequate. We wrote a
long and detailed analysis
of the shortcomings, posted it to the PETSc list, and set it to the
developers. Nothing has been fixed, and
thus we have moved on.

   Matt