[petsc-users] A question on finite difference Jacobian

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 7 10:30:54 CDT 2015

> On Oct 7, 2015, at 9:54 AM, Zou (Non-US), Ling <ling.zou at inl.gov> wrote:
>
> Thank you Barry.
>
> The background I am asking this question is that I want to reduce (or you can say optimize) the cost of my finite difference Jacobian evaluation, which is used for preconditioning purpose. The concept is based on my understanding of the problem I am solving, but I am not sure if it will work, thus I want to do some test.
>
> Here is the concept, assume that my residual reads,
>
> F(\vec{U}) = F[\vec{U}, g(\vec{U})]
>
> in which, g(\vec{U}) is a quite complicated and thus expensive function evaluation. This function, however, is not very sensitive to \vec{U}, i.e., \partial{g(\vec{U})}/\partial{g(\vec{U})} is not that important.
>

> Normally, a finite difference Jacobian is evaluated as (as discussed in PETSc manual),
>
> J(\vec{u}) \approx \frac{F(\vec{U}+\epsilon \vec{v}) - F(\vec{U})} {\epsilon}
>
> In my case, it reads,
>
> J(\vec{u}) \approx \frac{F[(\vec{U}+\epsilon \vec{v}), g(\vec{U}+\epsilon \vec{v})] - F[(\vec{U}), g(\vec{U})]} {\epsilon}
>
> Because \partial{g(\vec{U})}/\partial{g(\vec{U})} is not important, the simplification I want to make is, when finite difference Jacobian (as preconditioner) is evaluated, it can be further simplified as,
>
> J(\vec{u}) \approx \frac{F[(\vec{U}+\epsilon \vec{v}), g(\vec{U})] - F[(\vec{U}), g(\vec{U})]} {\epsilon}
>
> Thus, the re-evaluation on g(\vec{U}+\epsilon \vec{v}) is removed. It seems to me that I need some kind of signal from PETSc so I can tell the code not to update g(\vec{U}). However, I never tested it and I don't know if anybody did similar things before.

   This is tricky because you are not simply providing a different function to difference; you are skipping part of the differencing procedure. MatFDColoringSetFunction() is only designed to allow you to change the function, not monkey with removing the differencing value sometimes.

   Of course it is possible for you to do what you want but I think it would require you copying our differencing code and modifying exactly for your needs. For AIJ matrices the function is MatFDColoringApply_AIJ() it is a bit obscure and you would have to figure out what rows correspond to the g(\vec{U}) part so you handle them differently.

  Barry