[petsc-users] [petsc-maint] Memory usage function: output for all ranks

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Mon Nov 30 19:47:08 CST 2015

Andrey Ovsyannikov <aovsyannikov at lbl.gov> writes:
> Thanks for your quick response. I like Massif tool and I have been using it
> recently. However, I was not able to run Valgrind for large jobs. I am
> interested in memory analysis of large scale runs with more than 1000 MPI
> ranks. PetscMemoryGetCurrentUsage() works fine for this puprpose but it
> does not provide details where I allocate memory. Maybe it would beneficial
> for PETSc community to have some tool/function from PETSc itself.

Why do you want data from every rank?  PETSc usually tries to avoid
diagnostic output that scales with number of processes because it sneaks
up on people and causes crashes or huge IO costs that wastes their time.
That which is okay at 1k ranks may be unacceptable at 1M ranks.  Would
it be sufficient to compute some statistics, max/min, or the like?