[petsc-users] Error configuring PETSc with SUNDIALS (to solve stiff PDE)

namu patel namu.patel7 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 11:42:11 CST 2015

Hello All,

I was trying to configure PETSc with SUNDIALS so that I may use PVODE to
solve a stiff hyperbolic PDE of the form

A(x) u_tt = K [B(x) u_x - F(x, u, u_x, t)]_x ,  t > 0,  0 < x < L ,
u_x(0, t) = u_x(L, t) = 0 ,
u(x, 0) = u_t(x, 0) = 0 ,

where K >> 1. I was reading around to see what may be a good numerical
implementation for such a problem and it can be tricky here because the
stiffness is both in the linear part and the nonlinear forcing term.

I want to try PVODE availble in the SUNDIALS package. When I try to
configure PETSc with SUNDIALS, I get the message:

Downloaded sundials could not be used. Please check install in
/Users/namupatel/Softwares/PETSc/3.6.2/linux-dbg

  File "./config/configure.py", line 363, in petsc_configure

    framework.configure(out = sys.stdout)

  File
"/Users/namupatel/Softwares/PETSc/3.6.2/config/BuildSystem/config/framework.py",
line 1081, in configure

    self.processChildren()

  File
"/Users/namupatel/Softwares/PETSc/3.6.2/config/BuildSystem/config/framework.py",
line 1070, in processChildren

    self.serialEvaluation(self.childGraph)

  File
"/Users/namupatel/Softwares/PETSc/3.6.2/config/BuildSystem/config/framework.py",
line 1051, in serialEvaluation

    child.configure()

  File
"/Users/namupatel/Softwares/PETSc/3.6.2/config/BuildSystem/config/package.py",
line 677, in configure

    self.executeTest(self.configureLibrary)

  File
"/Users/namupatel/Softwares/PETSc/3.6.2/config/BuildSystem/config/base.py",
line 126, in executeTest

    ret = test(*args,**kargs)

  File
"/Users/namupatel/Softwares/PETSc/3.6.2/config/BuildSystem/config/package.py",
line 592, in configureLibrary

    for location, directory, lib, incl in self.generateGuesses():

  File
"/Users/namupatel/Softwares/PETSc/3.6.2/config/BuildSystem/config/package.py",
line 332, in generateGuesses

    raise RuntimeError('Downloaded '+self.package+' could not be used.
Please check install in '+d+'\n')

Two questions:

1. How can I resolve the above error?

2. Are there any recommendations to solving the stiff PDE stated above so
that I can experiment to see what may be an efficient implementation?

Thank you,

Namu