[petsc-users] On the edge of 2^31 unknowns

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Mon Nov 16 14:41:11 CST 2015

>   Out goal is that if something won't fit in a 32 bit int we use a 64
>   bit integer when possible or at least produce a very useful error
>   message instead of the horrible malloc error you get.  The more
>   crashes you can give us the quicker we can fix these errors.

This feels like something that we should be able to find with static
analysis, though I don't know how since many of the problems are a
consequence of unsuffixed numeric literals having type "int".

What if we compiled for an I16LP32 architecture (emulator) so we could
find these problems at small scale?