[petsc-users] Near nullspace for preconditioners other than GAMG?

David Knezevic david.knezevic at akselos.com
Sat Mar 7 17:27:07 CST 2015

OK, thanks for letting me know.

I've tried GAMG and ML with MatNullSpaceCreateRigidBody and those both work
well for me. (I tried ML after Jed pointed out that ML also uses the near
nullspace.)

I have also tried hypre but the convergence hasn't been as good for the
elasticity models I've been using, though I may not have been setting the
hypre options in an optimal way for elasticity.

Another situation I've been meaning to ask about: If the elasticity model
includes some "near rigid" regions (very high Young's modulus) all
iterative solvers I've tried fare poorly. I guess it's because the highly
contrasting stiffnesses give a large condition number. Is there a standard
way to get the preconditioner compensate for this?

Thanks,
David