[petsc-users] Lumped matrix

Eric Chamberland Eric.Chamberland at giref.ulaval.ca
Tue Jan 6 12:39:09 CST 2015

Hi,

We are asking ourselves what would be the most efficient way to
create/do assembly/solve a problem involving a lumped matrix in PETSC?

#1- To create the matrix: Use an standard AIJ with 1 nnz per line
(didn't find any lumped or diagonal type)?
#2- Assembly: sum elementary matrices lines and the do the assembly on
the diagonal only of the usual AIJ matrix?
#3- Use a pc_type jacobi, lu, ?

We want to preserve the "genericity" of the solving procedures, meaning
we still want to manipulate a "matrix" even if it is a diagonal one to
preserve operations/manipulations done in the code...

Thanks for your insights!

Eric