[petsc-users] Release canditate?

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sat Dec 12 01:27:13 CST 2015

Éric Chamberland <Eric.Chamberland at giref.ulaval.ca> writes:

> Hi,
>
> we just waited since petsc 3.5.4 until 3.6.3 to retrieve a working petsc
> for our usages (got bugs with 3.6.1, 3.6.2)
>
> Now, just discovered 3.6.3 have a bug with mkl_pardiso... :/

v3.6.0 is now 6 months old, but the mkl_pardiso stuff was just fixed
recently.  Fewer people actually try release candidates than real
releases, so if we had spent the last 6 months spinning release
candidates, it might still not have been noticed.  It seems to me the
problem is that we have untested code such that a bug like this can
persist so long without being noticed.  I don't see how release
candidates help in this regard.

Note that running 'master' after a feature freeze is like running a
release candidate except that bugs are fixed in a rolling fashion
instead of in batches at the next release candidate.