[petsc-users] Solving/creating SPD systems

Justin Chang jychang48 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 12:58:58 CST 2015

Jed,

1) What exactly are the PETSc options for CGNE? Also, would LSQR be worth
trying? I am doing all of this through Firedrake, so I hope these things
can be done directly through simply providing command line PETSc options :)

2) So i spoke with Matt the other day, and the primary issue I am having
with LSFEM is finding a suitable preconditioner for the problematic penalty
term in Darcy's equation (i.e., the div-div term). So if I had this:

(u, v) + (u, grad(q)) + (grad(p), v) + (grad(p), grad(q)) + (div(u),
(div(v)) = (rho*b, v + grad(q))

If I remove the div-div term, I have a very nice SPD system which could
simply be solved with CG/HYPRE. Do you know of any good preconditioning
strategies for this type of problem?

Thanks,
Justin