[petsc-users] Is it still worth switching to PETSc if I can't write a Jacobian for my problem?

Hong Zhang hongzhang at anl.gov
Thu Dec 10 15:55:18 CST 2015

Hi Brian,

If you can’t provide Jacobian and do not need to run the code in parallel, I do not think using PETSc would make too much difference compared to using scipy.integrate.odeint.
With both of them, you can either use explicit time integration methods with small time steps, or use implicit methods with internally approximated Jacobians (PETSc can compute a finite difference Jacobian for you).
However, scipy.integrate.odeint implements multistep methods, while PETSc provides a rich set of multistage methods (e.g. Runge-Kutta type methods) which may have better stability properties. An explicit integration method with better stability may allow for larger time steps in your problem, thus leading to possible performance gain. But the speedup may not be significant.

If you are using implicit methods with internally approximated Jacobians, high computational cost can be expected. In this case, providing a correct Jacobian might be the best way to improve the performance. And if you decide to do so, PETSc is definitely worth a try because it can help you check if the Jacobian is correct and give you diagnostic information about the convergence of the linear solves, the nonlinear solves and the time stepping.

Apart from that, you may also try the IMEX time integrators in PETSc. When using IMEX, you need to manually split your right hand side function into two parts — stiff and non-stiff parts, and only provide the Jacobian for the stiff part (usually linear). This requires the users know the source of stiffness in their problems. Some IMEX examples for advection-diffusion-rection problems and several simple ODEs can be found at http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/src/ts/examples/tutorials/ and http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/src/ts/examples/tutorials/advection-diffusion-reaction/ex3.c.html

Hong