[petsc-users] DMCreateMatrix from one DMDA to an another

Timothée Nicolas timothee.nicolas at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 04:15:44 CST 2015

Hi,

I need to create a rectangular matrix which takes vector structured by a
DMDA and transforms them to vectors structured with an other DMDA. It does
not look like there is a routine to do this since apparently DMCreateMatrix
assumes square matrix. What is the clean way to do this ?

The problem is I have a DMDA with 8 degrees of freedom (dof) and my matrix
sends vectors living in a subspace with 3 dof to the other 5 dof subspace.
I can define a square matrix living in the large, 8 dof subspace, but this
is of course very inefficient in terms of memory and time.

Thanks

Best

Timothée