[petsc-users] pcfieldsplit for a composite dm with multiple subfields

Gideon Simpson gideon.simpson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 15:04:47 CDT 2015

Yes, if i continue in this parameter on the coarse mesh, I can generally solve at all values. I do find that I need to do some amount of continuation to solve near the endpoint.  The problem is that on the coarse mesh, things are not fully resolved at all the values along the continuation parameter, and I would like to do refinement.

One subtlety is that I actually want the intermediate continuation solutions  too.  Currently, without doing any grid sequence, I compute each, write it to disk, and then go on to the next one.  So I now need to go back an refine them.  I was thinking that perhaps I could refine them on the fly, dump them to disk, and use the coarse solution as the starting guess at the next iteration, but that would seem to require resetting the snes back to the coarse grid.

The alternative would be to just script the mesh refinement in a post processing stage, where each value of the continuation is parameter is loaded on the coarse mesh, and refined.  Perhaps that’s the most practical thing to do.

-gideon