[petsc-users] Duplicate options

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Aug 12 09:39:29 CDT 2015

Torquil Macdonald Sørensen <torquil at gmail.com> writes:
> The section "Options for SEQAIJ matrix" is repeated. The reason I ask is
> because I have another Petsc program that prints an enormous amount of
> duplicate lines when running with -help. I found this old thread from
> 2006 about the same problem:
>
> http://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/petsc-users/2006-October/000737.html

Sadly, this is still a known problem and it got worse when we became
more consistent about printing options for things like matrices and
vectors (which rarely have prefixes and for which many options used to
be hidden).  Fixing it is somewhat at odds with our desire to remove
global variables whenever possible, but I think it needs to be fixed.  I
tend to filter -help output with grep, FWIW.