[petsc-users] petsc_gen_xdmf.py errors

Fande Kong fdkong.jd at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 20:53:47 CDT 2015

Hi all,

I tried to use petsc_gen_xdmf.py to generate a xml file for visulaztion
using paraview. I got the following errors:

./petsc_gen_xdmf.py sol.h5
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./petsc_gen_xdmf.py", line 236, in <module>
    generateXdmf(sys.argv[1])
  File "./petsc_gen_xdmf.py", line 231, in generateXdmf
    Xdmf(xdmfFilename).write(hdfFilename, topoPath, numCells, numCorners,
cellDim, geomPath, numVertices, spaceDim, time, vfields, cfields)
  File "./petsc_gen_xdmf.py", line 190, in write
    for vf in vfields: self.writeField(fp, len(time), t, cellDim, spaceDim,
'/vertex_fields/'+vf[0], vf, 'Node')
  File "./petsc_gen_xdmf.py", line 164, in writeField
    self.writeFieldComponents(fp, numSteps, timestep, spaceDim, name, f,
domain)
  File "./petsc_gen_xdmf.py", line 120, in writeFieldComponents
    dims   = '1 %d 1' % (numSteps, dof, bs)
TypeError: not all arguments converted during string formatting

The hdf5 file is attached. Originally from Matthew. Configuration and make
log files are also attached.

Fande Kong,