[petsc-users] Questions about creation of matrix and setting its values

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 5 13:01:44 CDT 2015

> On Aug 5, 2015, at 4:47 AM, Cong Li <solvercorleone at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am wondering if it is necessary to call
>> MatAssemblyBegin() and MatAssemblyEnd() after MatDuplicate() with the option of MAT_DO_NOT_COPY_VALUES.
>> For example, if I have an assembled matrix A, and I call MatDuplicate() to create B, which is a duplication of A.
>> Do I need to call MatAssemblyBegin() and MatAssemblyEnd() for B.

  You should not need to. But note if you use the flag MAT_DO_NOT_COPY_VALUES the new matrix will have zero for all the numerical entries.

>> And 2nd question is :
>> just after the MatCreateDense() call and before MatAssemblyBegin() and MatAssemblyEnd() calls, can I use MatGetArray() ?

   Dense matrices are a special case because room is always allocated for all the matrix entries and one can use MatDenseGetArray() to either access or set any local value. So if you are only setting/accessing local values you don't actually need to use MatSetValues() (though you can) you can just access the locations directly after using MatDenseGetArray().  There is no harm in calling the MatAssemblyBegin/End() "extra" times for dense matrices.