[petsc-users] I am wondering if there is a way to implement SPMM

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Aug 4 12:20:19 CDT 2015

Cong Li <solvercorleone at gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks very much for your suggestions.
>
> Actually I am also considering using communication-avoiding matrix power
> kernel (CA-MPK) to do SPMM. However, the communication pattern of CA-MPK
> depends on the sparsity pattern. So the implementation could be very
> complex for some of problems.The efficient implementation of CA-MPK is
> actually one of problems I want to solve during my PhD course.

You can get the pattern with MatIncreaseOverlap.

Lack of useful preconditioning all but destroys the practical utility of
these matrix powers kernels for solvers, even if the surface area/volume
ratio is favorable (an odd corner of the relevant problem space).  I
consider it a fashion that has already gotten more attention than it
deserves and should be on its way out.  I would recommend a different
thesis topic if you want to do work with a tangible impact on practical
computational science and engineering.  If you're really excited about
this niche, by all means, have fun.