[petsc-users] Turning off TSADAPT still adapts time step

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Mon Apr 27 15:11:45 CDT 2015

>    This should be made clear in the documentation and the API. Currently it is very murky especially with messages such as
>
> TSAdapt 'none': step  20 stage rejected t=800        + 4.000e+01 retrying with dt=1.000e+01
>
> which start with the TSAdapt word but then talk about rejecting step which one would naturally think has something to do with TSAdapt.

It does have to do with TSAdapt, but not with the "type" of TSAdapt.
The KSP convergence test does not depend on whether you use GMRES or CG
(except perhaps in the default norm type).

>    Perhaps if every rejected line indicated why such as
>
> TSAdapt 'none': step  20 stage rejected (nonlinear solve failed due to xxxx)  t=800        + 4.000e+01 retrying with dt=1.000e+01
>
> or
>
> TSAdapt 'something': step  20 stage rejected (error control to large due to xxxx)  t=800        + 4.000e+01 retrying with dt=1.000e+01

I'm concerned about these lines being too long and practically
unreadable.  Should we have -ts_adapt_monitor_verbose?  It tends to be
really clear what is going on when you use -ts_adapt_monitor -snes_converged_reason.